Wednesday, April 11, 2018


Ian MacLeod
“Composition #435 (Epiphany)”
Acrylic, latex and varathane on canvas
36″ x 36″
My Epiphany Series on Paper and on Canvas:
I have come to realize, or see in some abstracted manner, my new series of paintings are a reflection of my life.
I was given up at birth and adopted by loving parents (my parents). Even after their deaths I never wanted to search out my birth parents because it felt like a betrayal.
This conflict shows up in my art in the fragmented and broken patterns that are sometimes incomplete and unresolved.
Now in my 70’s, I see that not only my current work, but all my art has undertones of this somewhat separated life and loss of self.
Everything I’ve done, the way I connect or don’t connect with people, places and things are all there to keep me safe and from being lost.
The art shows me this - I don’t believe I saw it until I read something written by an artist friend about himself for an exhibition I curated in 2017. His words, filled with emotion and honesty opened something in me and I will be forever grateful.
And here I thought I was just throwing paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment